Babcock Noell uses an AC 370 planetary stranding machine for manufacturing superconducting cables; this machine was also used for producing Rutherford cables for the LHC storage ring magnets. Moreover, the planetary strander also facilitates manufacturing superconducting cables with a central cooling channel.
For these purposes, the machine is equipped with a hollow shaft and has been modified such that an additional wire for fixing and insulation tapes can be attached in a single step.
- Outer diameter of central core: max 12 mm
- Number of sc strands: 40
- Wire wrap: NiCr wire with a 0.2 mm diameter (min.)
- Bandaging: Up to 8 tapes (Kapton)
- Manufacturing of the cable for the SIS 100 prototype
- Prototype cable for CERN
- Cable production for 113 fast-ramped SIS 100 dipoles